It's Secondhand September but what does this mean?
Secondhand September is a challenge to only shop second hand for the 30 days in September.
Why does Secondhand September exist?
We can't ignore climate change much longer. The vast amounts of clothing that are produced everyday and then sent to landfill is devastating and the Fashion industry is up there with one of the biggest polluters on this planet. Secondhand September gives us a chance to stop, put the breaks on and re-evaluate our wardrobes and how we are curating them.
Here are 5 reasons to shop secondhand this September.
1. Reducing the need for the amount of new mass marketed clothing will have a positive impact on the planet.
According to Fashion Revolution, "The number of garments produced annually has doubled since 2000 and exceeded 100 billion for the first time in 2014 and an estimated 92 million tons of textile waste is created annually from the fashion industry. Shockingly, every second, the equivalent of one garbage truck of textiles is landfilled or burned globally."
If we stop buying it for a while, we will stop wasting it... for a while.
2. It is better for our bank balances. Have you check out out websites like Vinted or Depop for some second hand styles? There are so many places bursting with unwanted clothing in perfect condition available for a much discounted price.
3. It makes you step out your comfort zone. Ever feel like you wear the same thing all the time? If you REALLY need to buy something new to you this month, try scouring the secondhand shops online and in person and you will find some gems you wouldn't normally pick up.
4. Re-evaluate your wardrobe. Do you actually need to buy anything? Try digging to the back of your wardrobe for some styles you haven't worn in ages. why not dye them a different colour or amend the leg lengths.
5. Realise you can stop buying new. Once you do all of the above, the need for that constant new thing in your wardrobe will fade.